Thursday 20 December 2007

My return

Hi! Been away for a bit. It has been a combination of being tired, being away with my other half's house, and having the internet connection go down.

Well, what have I been up to. Well, lets start with the post I wrote for the last shift I was to write about:
My rapid reaction

The day began with me working ona new bay area with a different nurse to usual. The patients were OK. Two of them barly had time for me to say "Hi" before the theatre porters turned up and whisked them away to theatre for surgery. At 07:40, they really were early! That left me with one patient who was re-admitted afew weeks ago, one who I recall being verbally abusive one night to me, two post op patients and three patients in the bay next door. I began with the medications round. There was noting to remake for the first hours save for an early ECG on one of the aformentioned three who was feeling a bit unwell. Nothing showed on the ECG, and to be honest they were feeling OK by the time I had got the ECG monitor (which was about 5 minutes altold). There was a break taken (which is when I usually have my breakfast on a morning- porridge oats to keep me going through the day).

Shortly after making the beds, the bey was given a new admit. The patient as OK at first, and was seen by the doctors on the ward round. I had been in with another patient (can't recall now what it was), when I did my check of my patients. The new admit was looking a bit off colour (pale) and was was sweating and felt feaverish. I went and grabbed an ob's machine, and put on a pair of gloves. I was glad I donned the gloves. While there was a nomal temp, the blood pressure was below 60mmHg systolic! No wonder they felt unwell! Now, as I was in a bit of a hurry, I did the ambulance service trick of scribbeling patients obs onto the gloves (with the time noted as well!). I then went direct to the nurses station where my staff nurse and a senior nursing sister were going through some documents. I said interuppting them "Can you help me with the new admit. They are not well, BP [less then 60mmHg], Pulse is [reading] and resps are [elevated figure] (n.b. actual figures witheld for confidentiality- this is my musing on what I was doing after all!). Anyway, the on call registrar (or whatever they call them this week SpR, ST1, FTSTA3, GHTYS, RHAY4, XIOTI, OR ZYZZYX).
Anywho, the patient was sent back to the department. It was during this time where I did several things I was happy with. 1) Taking an accurate manual BP, and 2) being able to talk to and reassure the patients relative and explain to them what was happening to the patient at the bedside.

Anywho, that aside there has been over two weeks in which I have passed two essays and I worked with the ward sister who was very happy with my work, got sent home off one shift last week for having a massive coughing fit less then 5 minutes after arriving on the ward (bit annoying as it takes me over an hour to get in first thing in the morning!) and have now finished for the festive period.

At the moment I am applying for jobs in my local area in the fading hope I may actually get a job. Not that that is exactly something I personally feel positive about. I have been thinking about the armed forces perhaps, though the Navy require 2 years post reg, the army and RAF are a bit less strict though not sure whether they are more after part-time postings. Oh well.

No comments: