Sunday 15 April 2007

...and so it goes on, day after day, year in, year out, slime in this ear, slime in that ear, don't you ever yearn for change?


The news that despite the Royal College of Nursing (RCN) at the beginning of conference having its figures of Nursing post reductions scoffed by the government, the fact is there is a large problem with the nursing staffing and the effect on patients.


There are problems with all jobs, and certainly even the private sector has its problems. However, if the checkout operator accidentally charges me 15p more for a broccoli, there is no real disaster, however, if I were to give a patient 15ml too much of a drug, there could be a patients life at stake.


Many point and bemoan the posts being cut. I am fortunate that I can still (sort of) have the time free to study for a different job when I qualify. I quite fancy the Ambulance service, but need a different driving exam to get appropriate licence. I could take access to Medicine and study that...but then you read of the MMC fiasco and think again. I could do law...but I have a conscience. I did have the finance to examine while working in business management...but frankly did not like it. I could join the armed forces, but thanks to my medical conditions would be excused on medical grounds. Which is the issue here. I chose Nursing as I am very knowledgeable and competent with health and anatomy and physiology, and actually WANT to get of my backside and do some work (Yes, I know I may seem to those who meet me to seem cynical but you also know just how good I was with patients and there was that time it was recorded I was more knowledgeable then what was expected of me at the time- and that's not blowing my own trumpet, that people, was recorded officially on a dialogue sheet from the university!).


We have seen this before with the NHS. Job cuts, staffing shortage, wards close, beds short, over and over again. I am tired of reading of ministers burying their head in the sand and using political unspeak to worm out from giving a straight answer. Is it just me who years for change from this cycle of disaster?

No comments: