Monday 23 April 2007

One passport to heaven please!

It was once in something I read (not cited because i'm lazy) about a Nurse who dies [after all, we are not immortal-Ed] and there wasa short piece of writing about the said nurse going to heaven and being asked what she did. On replying that she had worked for the NHS, St. Peter's reply is: "Come on in then, you've had you share of hell".

Student Nurse is deeply worried that he will be left unemployed at the end of all this. I would really like to qualify and work in the critical care area, and work on the arrest team and become up to the level of Charge Nurse following many courses. One thing that seems so unfair is the way that people cannot often reach their true calling, or have a job which they like. As a rule I dont watch medical TV shows (I cite the time my former girlfriend got mad at me for lauching objects toward the TV when she was watching Casualty. The last time I checked, using ambulance trolleys as battering rams to open the A&E doors with a suspected C-Spine fracture is not recommended protocol, neither is opening said doors while wearing sterile gloves. One I do watch however, is the US show Scrubs. I have to find it amusing as there is one character in it (Dr Doug Murphy-Johnny Kastl) who is portrayed as a nervous, incompetant doctor. In an episode titled "My malpractical decision" (S4 ep13), While a malpractice attourney visits the hospital, the chief of medicine orders Murphy to the morge, where he, along with the second main character look at a few corpses.
Elliot: Doug, I'm sorry, but...I don't think you're cut out for being a doctor.
Doug: Wow....
Pathologist: I cannot figure out how this guy died.
Doug: I'm betting he took a paracentesis needle to the aorta.
Pathologist: Have you seen this before?
Doug: Seen it? Upstairs they call that a "Doug"!
Elliot: You got any others you can't figure out?
They stand over a body...
Doug: Doctor prescribed overdosage of Fentanyl.
And another body...
Doug: Dissected left main during a cardiac catheterization.
Doug feels around inside another body...
Doug: We look under Mr. Pancreas and...there it is.
He pulls out a lost rubber glove.
Elliot: Huh!
Pathologist: He's the best I've ever seen. Mind if we steal him from you?
Elliot: I can live with it.
Doug: Well, my work here is done.
He strips off his gloves and drops them into the open cavity.

Now yes, I know, this is only a TV show, but really makes you think though that a) NEVER NEVER NEVER be as bad as him, and b) How come if he could become a great pathologist, I think I am unlikey to get any nursing job.

(Scrubs script came from here)

No comments: