Friday 1 February 2008

My roads end


So, as of 13:30 I officially left placement. It was odd. I began the day with finding many people on duty. This was mostly HCA and two staff Nurses working the early shift. I had to wait to find out what team I was working in. It was the bay I was in on Tuesday. There were only 4 patients in the bay and two side rooms to see to. I did the baseline observations and wrote the risk assessments at the same time (there was enough time for this to be done at the same time). There was not a lot to do after making the beds and the morning did seem to drag. Two urgent ECG's were done by yours truly. The visiting SpR was happy with my lead placement and thanked for a "Nice ECG". That was pleasing!

I was searching for an IVAC infusion pump for some of the morning and went two several surrounding departments to source one. It was odd when a Nurse from the ward next door asked when I was finished my training to be able to reply "28 minutes time!". The ward senior sister wrote me a very nice witness statement which I will copy for my upcoming interviews. Next week I have 3 days in the university. Tuesday is the RCN conference, Thursday is a day of information and Friday is a closing lecture and NMC registration day.

My more pressing concern is the fact my Girlfriend last night decided she wanted to try and end our relationship claiming that things "Were not fair" on me and she was "very sorry". I am not sure what to say as this is a blow that I really did not see coming. I know emotions were running high the last few days. Now, not only do I have a job to worry about, I now have this broadside hit to deal with. To say that I have taken this bad is an understatement. I feel sick in the pit of my stomach and I have hardly eaten anything. Come to think of it, I have not eaten much at all this past week. I cannot stop thinking of her, and wonder what it is I ever did wrong to her. Any of the female readers with any ideas of what you would suggest I do please leave a comment. I figure that the best thing will be to give her some space to calm down a bit.

Speaking of the comment and the blog, I realised some time ago that after next week this blog and my ID will be redundant. I do not want to start a new blog yet, so if you have any names for the new blog which I will go on to make, and feel free to leave comment. "Staff Nurse Musings" anyone?

So, if you are a student Nurse, and you are wondering what it is like in the third year, if you are a nurse and were looking for another persons view, or you ever should be a person in the future who was considering Nursing, I hope that my small entries have been both entertaining and useful. I am now at the end of three years. I have passed the course and this time next week will be able to say that I completed my three years of University. I shall be able to put RGN after my name in a few weeks time.

In recognition of that, the video link at the top is the one that finally I choose to accurately reflect the end of the course. I have climbed the mountain of nurse training. Somehow, I have survived.
And to all the people who took the time to read and to post: My profound thanks.

3 comments:

joannaerina said...

I only started reading a couple of months ago but I've enjoyed your posts. Just wanted to say good luck with the interviews and I wish I had some advice on the girlfriend thing but I can't seem to come up with anything, the space thing sounds good.

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations on making it through your final year of nurse training! I'm really pleased for you and look forward to hearing about your antics as an RN! Hope all goes well with the interviews etc.

The girlfriend one is tricky. Tell you what, I'll offer you some advice if you offer me some! Perhaps your girlfriend is feeling like a right burden and that she's holding you back. Therefore, breaking up with you "sets you free" (without wanting to be poetical about it). She's not well, she's stuck in hospital with too much time to think and she's no doubt missing some of her nurse training so she's bound to be a bit all over the place.

Give her a bit of space; maybe take her some flowers (if the PC brigade haven't banned them) and let her know you care. Perhaps tell her you'll visit in a day or two. Does that sound ok?

Perhaps you can advise me on the following: my ex and I broke up seven months ago. We see eachother all the time (mutual friends) but he rarely communicates with me. If he smiles/waves at me one time, he'll be completely bastard-like the next. It's been seven months and it would be good to clear the air. After all, he was the one who bloody ended it!

Keep your fluids up (not of the alcohol variety!) and look after yourself :)

Staff Nurse M said...

Thank you both for your kind comments.

Elizabeth, I have taken her flowers and have said that as I am in for consolidation for the next week I will leave it for a few days to see her.

For your situation: It is hard to say for sure as I am not aware of the reasons for your break up. Nor can I be said to be an expert at relationships as my current predicament lies. However, try and see when he is being "bastared like" in your words. It could be when he is with friends to show off. Most of my friends are all in relationships so hardly any of us act in such a manner. However, I suggest that starting off with a curt greeting would be a good place to start. Try an do it where there are a few people about so as not to make each other feel uncomfortable, but also sometime when you can both leave without causing upset to anyone else. For example, if you see each other while in a town centre, its public enough to be comfortable, though if you were both out at a party, that could cause problems if you have a blazing row and end up seeing each other every place you go. Try not to be too questioning. When I first met my girlfriend, I admit that I actually was relucatnt to see her and we split up lord knows how many times in our first 2 months. The reason being that she just bombarded me with questions, and some of them I really did not want to answer at the start of a relationship. Ask general things i.e. "How are you?" or "What have you been up to?". Saying "Why the blazes did you break up" or "What are you a complete tw@ sometimes?" will not break the ice and will only alienante him further. I hope that helps.
"Nursing Student"
(my god it will be nice to sign my name proper once I finish uni so I cannot be shot at the 11th hour)