Sunday 2 September 2007

My pre-emptive strike

Knowing that I was to manage the bay and do the obs on my Fridays shift I went in early with a check of the stock cupboard, and my stethoscope and sphygmanometer to do the obs manually which would save me 20 minutes farting about trying to find a dynamap that probably would not work. That paid off.

Having several dressing changes, a few washes and a patient who's BP dropped to 80 systolic kept me going so I decided to skip my morning break and worked up until lunch which was at 13:40. Bit of a long day when you think that I have been there from 07:00 that morning. Decided that there were several IV's needing to be done so got them done. The biggest thing the really frustrated me was the fact that there were no basic equipment to hand. There were no blankets, no hospital gowns, somebody took the DDA keys on their break so there was access to the controlled drugs, the scales broke and I had to find another set from a adjacent ward, and went to pharmacy and pathology twice via dropping a patient off as the porters went AWOL.
Its more "Crisis management" not "ward management" at the moment. Am back tomorrow after having a nice weekend with my girlfriend. I needed that break.

No comments: