Thursday 27 September 2007

My half time

So as of 15:20, I finished my placement. Which is nice as that was a few hours off having covered for the ward move. I will miss the early finishes as a student. Speaking of which, I have handed in my first letter of application and CV asking for a job to the ward sister where I have been for the placement.
For the shift I was in charge of doing all the drug rounds and dispensing the medication and doing the controlled drugs. I know this will be a bore for any qualified staff but it was with the final push which I was left to happily work during the lunch break with another nurse to pop their heads around the door to keep and eye out. While normally this would be daunting, I was OK with it. I do think that a lot of the situations which people do not want to deal with wind up being bad only thinking they have to face a situation or on the way to a situation (i.e. cardiac arrest). I remember back in first year when on a community elderly rehab ward I was on my third shift as a student and being told to go to the mortuary to see a dead body to sort the paperwork out with the funeral director. Since then I have seen a fair few. Back then though, Internship was a distant thing, but now it is looming up just 5 days away.

Back to today. Gave a phosphate enema as the doctor prescribed it back on the 24Th but it still had not been given, so you can imagine the mess I had to clear up after nature ran it's course. Also had loads of bad baths as night staff did hardly any.

I was trying to get some controlled drugs signed out to 2 of my patients for pain relief who had PRN prescriptions for Oxynorm and Oromorph. One staff nurse said "get it out ready and the controled drug book open and I will be with you in a moment". 10 minutes later I was still stood in the treatment room like a right berk waiting. Thankfully my mentor got back from lunch and signed them out with me. Annoying. Then I did an ECG and was told to go off duty. I left a "Thank you" card and some chocolates to the mentor and one for the ward. They thourght I was very kind. While I was going to head home though in the true tradition of me actually going above the call of duty did a prescription drop off instead. This came about as there was another bay who discharged one of their patients to a rehab home but the patient went without tablets. I told them that the town where they were is in the next town to my St John Ambulance division, and so was sent in a taxi to the town then walked to the town centre where I indulged in a hot tikka and a few pints to celebrate the end of placement. I then walked the 3 miles to the town along the sea front to the St John Meeting. It was there that the iredness kcked in, though thankfully the meetinfwas on the upcomming training day for me (the next two Sundays) and some AED work. Not a bad way to end the half way mark of the placement season.

No comments: