Wednesday 3 October 2007

my new world


Had the first day of the new placement start. This is a surgical ward with a few cardio patient and some medical patients under cardiologists. The past two days have been keeping me steady away with work but I prefer this to the wards where I was hectically busy on the few hours of the morning with hardly anything on the afternoon to occupy my time with the patients. While it is possible to use this time for reading policy documents and so forth I usually find that as soon as you do that, something crops up that takes may attention.

These have been interesting times though and there has been a wide variety of work to be done. I have enjoyed my last two days, busy as they are. The initial day started with a patient being preped and consented for surgery and taking them down to the operating theatre for the anaesthetic nurses to take over, and there were tow journeys made that day. I went back and dispensed the medication (under supervision). The bay was full of independent patients which makes a change, though there were more dressings and ECG's and hourly observations to be done, as well as referrals to be made for the discharge. After the morning was done with, I was given an orientation to the ward, and the sister gave a small fire talk and showed the location of the fire panels, extinguishers and so on so that's part of the fire talk out of the way. This may seem irrelevant but as the alarm kept going off it was needed to assess the problem.

The afternoon was spent co-ordinating the new admissions and doing the nursing assessment. Today was much the same, save for going to the cardio lab to watch a PCI (Percutaneous Coronary Intervention) being done for an angiogram. Had a few in for them today, one who took a few scans (with the appropriate referral), had several ECG's, Observations to do post op. As there were 16 admissions to the ward, I was over the bay that took some, and was doing the Nursing admissions for some patients. While I was asked to go on a break this evening while I was doing one Nursing assessment, I got the details down of the patient who manages independently and got around the time problem by filling in the form over a tea break. Had to take a venous blood sample today as well, first time in a while and that went fine with no problems. In the last 5 minutes of the shift, I did a BM, Did an aseptic dressing to a patients leg, and removed a venflon. Shows how busy I have been.

The only razor in the toffee apple of the day was that while 2 essays have passed, one that was supposed to have been MITS and extended has been thrown back. Bugger. This now means having to go in to see if they have accepted the extension of the essay with MITS (its a throwback to when they buggered me about) or if one part has been thrown back. Either way I am annoyed at the whole thing. I don't mind the MITS being refused if they see fit, I just with the university had not messed me about originally to bring about this situation. In saying that, my new average mark has been announced as being 58. Not that bad.

No comments: