Wednesday 10 October 2007

My quiet victory

You know that when you see the pulse reading of several patients being bradycardic that just one of them is actually ill and will be needing the type of care that makes us stand up and give the world a smug "You see, that's why you need us" grin. Its just a pity that the promised money from the mayday for nurses campagine has not been as forthcomming from some of the clubs, which is a shame. I was involved in the taking of several ECG's, baseline observations (of all my patients) and monitoring of patients while SpR's were bleeped. Which was nice just to finally have a good blow out on the new placement and really get to grips with a situation. I must admit today did seem more social with the staff, which I feel a lot more happier with as the last week I really was thinking that I would remain socially isolated. The patients themselves were very quiet, I had all my charts done before 11am (Braden scales, Oral hygiene assessment, nutrional assessment etc). Yes, this may have interrupted my normal observations and the medication round which was started at 8am did not get finished until gone 10, but that is one of the examples of where clinical need dictates the priority. This statement is handy as I am to concentrate on that exact subject while managing the bay during this placement. The placement itself was discussed with the zoned academic who came into the CCU to talk to all the students on internship within the division. Normally I would be a quivering wreck of a student come a final tripartite, so decided to be blunt and to ask what the final tripartite would be consisting of. It would appear to be 10 minutes of me linking the competencies to practice. Which I practiced the other day and was able to make a tenuous link to most of them, so give it another few weeks and I should be OK (Still a quivering wreck all the same, but OK none the less).

So, a quiet victory in the fight of everything going wrong.

No comments: