Friday 12 October 2007

My half shifts


Yesterday I was on the "early" shift which was basically an 07:15-13:00 shift. Oddly enough, I was more tired from this shift then the normal twelve hour shifts. Anywho, to concentrate on the ward. I began by being directed off taking the obs and being on the medication round, which went without too much of note before moving on to taking a caseload of patients and doing the dressings on them and a few referrals being filled out.

Today was much of the same save for it being a 12 hour shift. I started by doing the medication round but withheld one Digoxin dose as there was a low pulse rate then bleeped the registrar as there was another patient who went into fast AF. One of the medical sleep outs were to go home, so just at the 11th hour, as is the case you get the dreaded phone call from infection control. When they phone up you know its to tell you the patient has a water infection, and true to form our patient did, though thankfully nothing that requires a further stay in hospital due to their being asymptomatic. I had to take the note over to the respiratory ward to be signed by a medical SHO (which is the exact opposite end of the hospital to where the ward I am on is). So I did. Then I had a new admission from CCU, took the handover for them, did the admission obs, the ADL assessment, Braden scale and had to bypass the weight due to the patients mobility. Unlike some people, If I am unable to do an aspect of admission I put down why that is so. The writing on the admission sheet was very long indeed to get all the details down, but needs must when the devil drives. After lunch, phoned the respiratory ward back up as the first time I phoned the SHO was away from the ward and by then the script had been written as needed. So wandered back over with that. Then on returning to the ward, was told that there were two discharges to be done, and so did the paperwork while awaiting the medications to arrive. My staff nurse phoned pharmacy up and said that they were refusing to dispense the discharge script for my sleep out patient as there had been a script sent a few days ago to the original ward they had come from- where I had been twice. So, as there were some to be collected, I went back to the opposite side of the hospital via pharmacy, and after packing the patient up and waiting at the entrance of the hospital for them to be collected, went up to be asked to return to pharmacy to drop a carbon page off a script by another nurse which they wanted down urgently. So I did. This would have been about 3:30pm, and when I dropped it off was told not to wait as it would be a while. Both the staff nurse and myself were taken aback when a rather brusque call came through from pharmacy saying the medication was late as it had been sat on a trolley since 2:20pm. Answers please on how that happened.
For the afternoon, nothing was noted save for a ECG and BP check on a few patients.

No comments: