Thursday 18 October 2007

My Nightlark

The annoying thing about working a night shift is that you spend the entire day waiting to go to work. I was due to go to meet a tutor at the university for a essay and so could not afford much in the way of a lie in yesterday. I normally try to get up late to keep going through the shift. However, despite this I was still left waiting over half an hour to see the tutor due to late running tutorials. Eventually, the time came for me to go to work. I decided to set of a bit early just in case I was caught up in the rush hour traffic. As it turned out I was not, so ended up at the hospital at 6:10pm. A whole hour and 5 minute before the start of shift. It's at times like this that I really hate. You've changed into your tunic and trousers, everything is hunky dory. Which is what I was facing. Then I realised I had not shaved before leaving and not wishing to look like a werewolf after 2am, I brightly remembered that I keep a razor in my bag for such an occurrence. So, I was able to pass 10 minutes shaving. So, that still left me with over 50 minutes before I was supposed to be on the ward, which given the one meter distance from the changing room to the ward doors was not going to take that long to walk. Normally if I knew the ward better I may have wandered onto the ward, but there were two reasons I did not do this. One, half the time there is little to do while on days at this time, and secondly, I was considering the situation of being moaned at for turning up early and staff nurse accountability for me etc. Then I looked at my shoes...hmmm, could they be polished. Normally, its not the sort of thing that bothers you, but when your trying to kill time its EXACTLY the sort of thing that does. So, a quick clean passed... 3 minutes. I was getting nowhere fast, so decided to go a grab a coffee. No sooner had I entered the ward, one of the staff nurses came into the staff room, greeted me and said "Are you free to give us a hand at all? Only there are two patients going to theatre and its hectic out there".

It was one of those rare moments where such a sentence actually sounds good to hear. Indeed, before the official start of the shift, I did 2 ECG's. a care plan, two shouts to a buzzer and swapped a patients paperwork over. The the handover came, which showed there was nothing remarkable. Until we were sent a medical sleep out patient. Having got them admitted and squared up, the next job was to get sorted out for the medication round, check a patients blood for theater, and get the patients settled. That worked well, then at about 11:30pm we were told we were to take two more medical sleep outs because there were patients in A&E needing beds. At shortly after midnight, the two patients arrived, and without much ceremony went straight to bed. Whereupon, for the rest of the night, all the patients in the bay I was covering and the side rooms were asleep save for one near 2:30am who wandered to the loo and needed directing back.

This was fortunate as there was on bay which had 3 patients who needed ecg and the on call SHO through the night. This was about the only thing we required, as well as an occasional call for a side room patient who required help with position changes. It was one of those rare moments where things worked very, very well. The staff nurse went to the patient who was not well, I as the student did an ecg and a full set of obs, asked the usual questions when talking about chest pain (where it is, what it feels like, have you taken your GTN etc). Then the SHO turned up, politely listened to us, looked at the ECG, made his decision, prescribed medications as needed, and even stayed around while it was started, and we all talked quite Merrily away. For that small 30 minutes, while we covered MTAS, MMC, the freezing of nursing posts and the common ground shared in this mess, and the great thing was that we all worked together. If only this sort of thing could be maintained (ie, the clinical staff having the hand on the tiller rather then an anonymous minister somewhere in whithall) makes you wonder how much better the wards would be.

I was given a break shortly after 3am. I dosed in the staff room for a bit, and think even managed 3/4 hour sleep. One thing that did strike me during this time (I could hear the conversations between the SHO and the nurses following what I guess was another chest pain call) about the comments that people make about wanting a GP throughout the night. It just seems that when you look at what was going on in the acute hospital, that really I cannot see where a GP can really help a patient at 04:25 when there are no other serves open and most folks are asleep.

Anyway, after coming back to the ward, there was more checks made for the bloods of patients, the evaluation sheets written in (all of mine with "Sleeping well when observed. No problems reported overnight") which summed up what mine were doing. At 6am I took a blood sample from a patient and then did the theatre checklist and got the patient the pre-med. After that, the ward went quiet and following the arrival of the day staff, went home. Where I spent most of the day asleep.

Now, for tonight I am back there again. Talk of circadian rhythm.

No comments: