Tuesday 9 October 2007

Post strike


Image from Beau Bo D'or
So, postman pat and his militant mates want to indulge in a spot of 1970's working practices by going on strike. Now, usually this would be a post which would focus on the vicissitudes of my Bursary arriving by post and that my bank card has developed a large dent in the chip. Which has caused it to stop working my delay which will be caused by the strike. Then however I began reading into the strike a bit more. Now, anyone who is told that there is the loss of 40000 jobs expects would be every bit right to feel upset and get a bit riled about it. What I have to find very amusing is some of the figures which are getting quoted. Lets start with the wage that the post people (PC culture: Is shit isn't it) are on. Now, I am not an expert on the personal specification for a post person. I am guessing though however that you have not had to go to university to be a post person, or have spent 2 years in college taking relevant A levels or a City and Guilds course. So, basically, you are taking about a job which a school leaver can do. No, wait a moment. Lets be specific here, your doing the job which an 11 year old with a paper round does, except for a bigger area. With the notable and noble exception of the 14 year old surgeon from India, most people in the NHS are highly qualified professionals. Even the support staff have to attend university and college to take their NVQ's. So, I was taken aback when the figure for a postal worker was revealed to be [drum role here]...£17000 per year.

Oh. Now, I was on £12500 when working as a manager. I know health support staff get about £13000. Newly qualified staff nurses get £19500. So, I am sorry, but you lazy lot can damn well wake up, and join the rest of the 21st century. I mean, I will get only £2500 per year more then you:- £208.34p per month before tax. Now, lets just think here for a moment. You left school, probably never went to college, you have not had to go through the grueling 3 years of university and have to have the responsibility for patients lives on your neck, or be accountable for treatment given, liaise with relatives, and have several statutory acts of Parliament governing what you do in your day to day job. Nor have at each of these stages had to out do your peers to be selected for a place. So, in real terms, £17000 is very, very good money for somebody in an "unqualified" job.

Now, this being said, I would like to examine some of the quotes coming from the postal workers and apply them to nursing
"We have to get up early"
So what? I am up at 5am tomorrow to be away for a 12 hour shift. My bus driver will have been up equally early to take the bus out. Let's not forget here Nurses have to work nights. But then again, we appreciate many other people work nights. So what? Just deliver later if you want a lie-in as anybody who works usually has left before the post, and anyone who is off is probably asleep for a few hours longer anyway.

"We have to work over 30 hours"
FFS! I have to do 34.5 hours and I am an effin' student! Perhaps the old Junior doctors who did 100 hour weeks will feel sympathy for you? Maybe the old me who worked 10 days of anywhere between 10-13 hours solid will be bothered.

"Staff are kept behind even when all the work is done!"
Oh for gods sake, visit any ward 15 minutes before handover!

"In effect, the wage rise demanded is 27% while the current offer is 6.9% over 2 years".
Nurses got 1.9%. What the hell are you wanting? You do realise that at the current rate, you lot would get £24000 while nurses would get £20000? I am sorry posties, but there is no way in hell are you lot worth more then £20000. And IF you do not like your current set up, I suggest you look for other jobs which you would be a valid candidate for. And when you realise you would be very, very, very luck to get over £14000 in it, I suggest you get back to work, and let the rest of us NHS types moan about the state of our job. Otherwise WE may go on strike...and then everyone will have something to actually worry about.

4 comments:

Nurse Anne said...

Awesome!! You took the words right out of my mouth Nursing Student.

I often work 15 hour shifts and only get paid for 8. We do not get paid overtime anymore ever for any reason so when he HAVE to stay over because there isn't a qualified nurse to take over our patients we are working for free.

If I went home on time regardless of whether or not there was another RN to relieve me the NMC could and would take my license for patient abandonment. So what my managers do is they "forget" to schedule an RN to come on duty for the next shift thus forcing you by law to stay over unpaid. Working for a cash strapped trust SUCKS.

They know they can get free hours off of a nurse. When nurses say "We are losing our goodwill and won't be working 10-15 hours of unpaid time a week anymore" we are bluffing. We don't have a fucking choice whether we want to do it or not.

I did 10 hours of unpaid time on top last week alone. Hell I don't want a big fat pay rise. Just pay me for the hours I work.


Dear Postal Workers,

Get off your ass and get back to work. It's not like you have attended university, work 12-15 hours without food and water on your feet and have life and death responsibility. You probably get much more respect than a nurse and god knows why.

Get. Back. To. Work. I am waiting for that book I ordered off of amazon.com and I want it now.

Sincerely,
Nurse Anne

Elizabeth said...

Too right! I sincerely hope Nurse Anne is intending to send her drafted note!

Incidentally, if the "post people" can't be bothered to do their job, what happens if I miss the payment on one of my utility bills and am charged extra? Can I claim it back from the Post Office?!

Perhaps the "post people" could try protesting like us nurses have been reduced to - sending bits of paper to number 10, generally making a bit of a racket and asking some footballers for their wages!

Staff Nurse M said...

Very good note for the postal workers [.sic] Nurse Anne. Not sure how you are going to deliver it though.

Nurse Anne said...

Yeah delivery might be a problem. I guess I'll just have to spray paint it onto the front of as many post offices as I can get too. Yeah yeah yeah. Kidding.

I guess I am just in a letter writing mood lately.