Thursday 25 October 2007

My lost nights

One thing I have noticed about working nights is the feeling that you are never away from work apart from when you come home to sleep. Which is more or less what happened over the past two nights. The first shift was taken by taking 3 admissions into the area where I was working. An unremarkable night followed with nothing more then routine work on the ward. I did however find the time to re-mark out the ward admission board as it was badly worn and looked a bit untidy so about 3am re-marked out the lines and put the patients names in again (it all looked very neat).

Last night was a bit busier as I came on duty and inherited a few post op patients and two pre op ones, and so in the hour before handover did a few ob's and skin preparation on the pre op ones. For those of you who do not know what that is, it is a simple allergy test which is done by taking Chlorohexadine, Betadine and an alcohol wash used on the ward which is put on a cotton ball, then taped to the patient. The idea being that if the patient is going to be allergic to any of them, we find it out on the ward with a small amount rather then in theatre with large amounts. One thing that did get me riled a bit was being stopped by one of the senior member of staff. It would seem that while my evaluation notes which I had written the previous night (variations of "Patient asleep overnight, no problem's raised, no reported pain, all medications given as prescribed") had been counter-signed, the risk assessments had not (I mean the Braden scale for pressure ulcer, MUST score etc). Now, I was a bit puzzled by this as a)My last (medical) ward, HCA's would fill them in. It would seem on surgery this does not happen. Frankly, I think this is the opposite to how it should be as medicine had confused, elderly folks who have risk of pressure sores (I remember patients with Braden scores of 16, 17 odd) while in surgery most are scoring 23 (i.e, low risk as most, nay all, patent's on the ward are mobile, continant, lucid and with good skin condition with respect to skin integrity). I only found this out later, as I was wondering what they were getting at with my filling it in.
b) No complaint was made with the way it was filled out.
c) The scores were correct.
I was trying to figure out the angle of the comment. Was it that I was being set up to look like a first rate shit by being put in a situation where I would go and berate my mentor, or that I am considered too incompetent after three years of university to fill in a simple risk assessment. My last area were happy for me to wander around and do the charts (I was praised by my previous mentor and both the ward sister's for the attention to detail on the charts. While I would like to say that I am a diligent hard working student with a fastidious attention to these risk assessments, the real reason is that I used to get bored on the mornings about 11am and probably would get bollocked for not doing anything so used it to occupy my time as anything that gave me time with the patients and something constructive to do for them which was worthwhile was what I was after. I will use the former though in an interview.) Answers please to the comment's section of this post.

Starting off, I went through the patients with my mentor and I was given a set of bloods to do, 4 BP checks and some bloods to print. The first item on the list started with the patients vein collapsing (bugger! and normally I had such a god track record as well), so I opted for a black vacationer needle and an adjacent vein. That one worked (albeit slowly filling the three sample bottles). My BP's were unremarkable (save for one which was that high I broke out my sphyg to do it), and printed the bloods off without issue. The night then settled down, with a few chest pain calls (with ECG's done) and the commode calls, files to write and bloods to do. We have a system on the hospital (called ICE) which prints out all the blood forms for you. Our printer was not working right so I went and pulled all the patients note's to get the patient labels and attached them to the blood forms and the bottles for the phelbotomists. Only to be told afterwards that we did not need to do that as they have their own set to do. Oh well.

That was my night.

No comments: