Friday 19 October 2007

My nightcap


Having bypassed the idea of waiting around for the shift to start yesterday evening I went straight into the ward at about 6:20pm. The joys of the public transport system. While I was supposed to be "night staff" I assisted the day staff for the final hour of the shift with there being a dressing change to kick things off. I like Tagaderm dressing, its a very useful one to use. However, there is a new one being used which is too small for the purpose, and has two sides of tape to remove which has the net effect of crumpling the dressing up and sticking it to the gloves in one easy movement. Not quite sure if that is a good design to use (ergonomics and all that). Anyway, when I was back in the bay I was covering the night before, two patients went home at about ten to 7. Knowing I would be lumbered with changing the bedding over at the start of shift, I got the beds changed as I knew we were likely to get medical sleep outs and decided to get it out the way before starting officially. Handover came and went without there being too much problem. One thing that annoyed me was that there was a side room patient who put a complaint in over last nights shift, citing that they were left alone in the dark. I have one word to describe this: Bullshit. I was not covering the patient, and I along with the nurse for the patient spent a lot of time in talking with them. As for being left in the dark, seeing as this was what the patient ASKED us to do, I hardly see how this is grounds for complaint, and if there was a problem it was never mentioned either Wednesday night or last night (in fact all concerned never raised any problems, both patient and family were very polite about things so it does not seem to equate out. still, as the saying goes, "you can please some people all of the time, and all people some of the time").

On commencing the shift the first thing was that we lost our one Health Care Assistant to the Neuro ward. I then took over giving out drinks and checking the BM levels of the diabetic patients who were on the ward. The loss of the HCA and having a staff nurse away collecting a drug from another ward meant that I attempted my first solo bed change with a patient in situ. It worked. There was nothing to note from that, then we got the call from the night sister saying there were two patients to come up from A&E. At this juncture, let me begin by saying that I fully understand that A&E are kept going and that the governments obsession with the 4 hour rule must keep them run ragged. I never have worked in A&E (my critical care placement was in the ICU, though having crewed ambulance's brought many patients into the department) though I can empathise with the department. However, when a patient was brought up with alleged "chest pains" nobody was impressed. The patient was heavily intoxicated, loud, unsteady on their feet, nearly falling, spitting thick, viscous phlegm onto the floor of the ward (when not wiping it on their trousers). This paled into insignificance compared to the stench of the patient. Now, I will happily look after any patient like this (I have done before). But I do disagree that given the fact that where I am had several first day cardiac patients, two patients with acute cardiac pain and other post operative patients that it is not exactly appropiate to send somebody onto the ward like that. The ECG was clear, observations stable and the only thing wrong was that the patient was...well,they were drunk. Talk about airborne pathogens. I know that it is very easy to say that I am being judgemental but if somebody is carrying lord knows what bacteria on them and you think about them being airborne, it is an infection risk to the post operative patients. Add to this the fact that they were wandering around hardly helped. Finally they were given an infusion, so after moving them from a bay into the one last side room that was left on the ward, we got a drip stand and I set the infusion up. I accidently put the top up so that it was higher then the door. I only realised the error afterward, though as a bi-product after trying to try and persuade them to got to bed (this was at about 2am!) it was a welcome thing (The drip was high to strectch over. It's hardly ideal but it can be an effective measure to try and prevent patients from wandering and getting into trouble. I kept an eye out, but by then having spilt three tea's on the floor, precipitated most of the dinner which was offered earlier in the night onto the bay floor, having wandered into other patients bay, caused two patients to vomit due to the stench, I was more concerned that this one patient was the bacteriological equivalent of the H-Bomb on the ward.

Nights are a pain to chase up results. When you are trying to chase three up, it gets worse. My staff nurse phoned the path labs to check a patients blood results to be met with the reply of "What sample, you have not sent one". My staff nurse said that it had been taken near 6pm by the day staff. While they were both arguing the toss, I went and checked the sample collection point. There, I found 5 blood samples, including the one that was being asked for, and even worse and group and save for a patient who was going for surgery among the sample which were doing a good job of separating out into plasma. Then, when trying to access an antibiotic level, nothing turned up (though on the instructions of the SHO the IV was given with the antibiotics by me anyway- my first solo setting up of an IVAC pump).

The night was steady away after that. One person went onto telemetry, a few wanted to go to the loo, and I even managed to grab an hours sleep. After writing up the charts as needed, I got off at 7am, and have had a very welcome day sleeping.

I am back on for 4 nights in a row then Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday so I am going to try and bring my laptop with me to do my university essays because I will struggle to find time otherwise.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Blimey, sounds like an interesting night!

What happened with the intoxicated gentleman? I would have bloody well sent him back to A&E! Totally not the right place for him to be at all, but good on you for dealing with it. I find my patience with those kind of situations is much diminished at night - not sure I could have handled it well!

Staff Nurse M said...

The intoxicated gentleman went down to the infection ward... where I used to work on my last placement.

A lot of the time, I just take a deep breath and think "Well, here is something for the blog" and then walk around thinking of a good witty way of turning phraze (and how to alter the details to avoid confidentiality issues)>

Elizabeth said...

True! That's what I end up doing too!