Thursday 20 September 2007

My strawberry jam

I was back in my normal area of the ward today being in charge of the two side rooms and a patient who was to be discharged while covering the bay in a general sense (like when there were breaks etc). One patient in the side room was pretty much independent and really all I had to do was give out meds and kept and eye and called by the room when I had a few moments spare to chat to give the patient some "face time". The one next door was a bit more ill and for a few hours were asked to wear masks while a certain test was performed (which was an interesting thing as I never done that before). There was a problem getting the medication in the form of a liquid which I wanted for the patient as they were having problems with swallowing but made do with crushing the medication down.

I was obsessing about the ward keys having accidentally taken the keys to the bay home the last shift (oops!). I find this odd as I was asked just to bring them back to the ward...and that was it. I was imagining having to do an incident form a get yelled at. All they said was "Oh, that's good that you got them, that cupboard was open all night". Still, as a lucky dip of the "potential fuck up to make on placement" it was not a bad one.

My other patient went home without too much, and today has seen me working quite autonomously in what is a very unusually quiet day. I am turning in to the ward on Saturday when the ward moves to a different ward.

No comments: