Tuesday 18 September 2007

My typo negative


Same bay, more admissions. The ward has finally gone mad, and we see patients who are more the we can cope with. My bay was the last outpost of sanity in this mad world, so thank goodness this is where I was. It was never easy as there was still no BP cuff on the dynamap, and while my staff nurse said "why do it manually it takes longer" when I began using my sphyg again. In the end it took only the same amount of time as normal, and did not mean me wasting half an hour scrounging equipment. Which was nice.

What was not was the falls which took place, but there is nothing much that can be done when we are at screaming point with overload despite the best efforts of all (and by all I mean everyone from the HCA's up to and including the ward manager, who had come in on her day off to help and sort things out).

Still, away from the wreckage of the ward, in the calm lagoon of nursing students bay atol, work was thundering along. We had out patients up, washed, sat out, beds made and seen by lunchtime, after which I was invlolved in the blood transfusions which were going on. This went well until there was some discrepency on the labels of the blood lables on the unit. This took some sorting out but was done.
I am looking forward to my rest day tomorrow.

No comments: