Friday 2 November 2007

My Challenge

Back on day's today. I entered the ward and was given a handover which was to indicate a discharge, a few post op patients and a few medical patent's to see to. The first event that took my attention was the two patients in the bay with D&V. Yes, it's outbreak time again! It was a relief that this seemed to be an isolated short episode so there was no need for a full scale lock down. The medication dispensing for the morning was done by yours truly (supervised) which went a bit quicker then the past weeks.

After making the bed's, checking some blood result's, I did a bed bath on a patient, which took me up to the time where I was invited to attend a hospital meeting (I'm going up in the world). It was the monthly meeting regarding mortality, so I am afraid that will have to be forever my little secret as that's confidential. All I can say is that it was a side that I have never seen before of the behind the scene's running of the division, and it was quite interesting to be in.

Comming back, one of the patient was needing a discharge letter doing (they had medication and the like sorted), though there was a shortage of SHO's as there was sickness with one being off. Now, at this point, I am sure some of you will be aware of the problems faced with job lossess is something that has bled over into medicine. Given the immense difficulty in the shortage of one SHO, how can a good standard of medical cover be given if there is a drive to reduce the number of doctors? I still firmly believe that MMC is the medical equivilant of the cut's in nursing post's which is being done to save the NHS money. Anyone with alternative evidence which opposes this, please leave comments.

Anyway, there was eventually (after having to appease a volunteer driver) the discharge letter done, and so I went into the bay, stripped the bed, then dressed a bleeding leg wound from a surgical patient, then on the asking of another staff nurse, asked one patient some qusetions for a dietician referral for my mentor. I really did feel sorry for my mentor today. She is a very experianced staff nurse, but one of the problems with today was that due to there being several accumilation of circumstances made, she was unable to stay with me all the time. This however meant that I was bale to assume a bit of observation on the patients and was taking some of the workload on (barring medication dispesing). The phone on the ward was none stop today. Due to there being calls from relative's who were asking about patients in other area's as there were some nurse's busy with different patients, I have been asking the nurse's if they are free how the patient are, and asking the patient themselfs. Normally as a student there is a great reluctance to take the phone (well, we were fed pleantly of horror stories back in first year on the introductory lecture on our first day in university, and during the law and ethic's module). Quite a step forward.

Did some post PCI ob's on another bay to help out as we wereshort this afternoon of a staff nurse. The afternoon was when I was at my most busy. After there were pacing wire's removed, I did the pbservations and the pre and post wire ECG's, had a run down to radiology for one patient (three journey's- one down with patient, one with medication and one to bring them back again with staff nurse).

Today has been the kind of day that a blue backsided fly would describe as being "a bit hectic". Which explains my 10 minute lunch and lost tea break.
Only another two shift's to go!

No comments: