Saturday 10 November 2007

My half and one


Why when is it that you do a half shift it seems to last just as long as a 12 hour shift. Never mind, Thursday was a relaxed day really with me taking my new patient from the day before to theatre and I am pleased to say they are making a good recovery. The ward has been quiet really, though I am not sure if there has been something put in the hospitals water supply as there has been a few short tempers on the ward (nothing affecting me but I have seen it). I would write out a report if there had been anything interesting happend but the past two days had only 3 things worthy of note.
1. One of my patient's left just before lunchtime yesterday. He still had not got back near 4pm.
2. The doctors have been really pissy lately
3. I was commended for using my initative by staff yeasterday over the prescription which wanted 1g asprin 4 times daily. It was for a condition which the Rheumatology department in my reconing would be able to help us with. I was nonplussed to recieve the reply of "I don't know" regarding the dose, though was a little bit better to be told my idea for the tables (3x 300mg asprin plus 1x 75mg tablet = 975mg was about the nearest we could get) was the same as what they did. The then took the slow route (checking the BNF) which concurred that for anti inflammitary properties 3.6g daily or more must be achieved for anti-inflammitary effects.

No comments: