Wednesday 7 November 2007

My Unnacceptable low

Having finally lost patience with the local public transport system, I took matter’s into my own hands and decided to get a bus at 05:45 from where I live and then walk the 40 odd minute journey to the hospital from the nearest point that I can reach. This worked and got me in reasonably early.

The day started off with a hectic play with the bed allocation as there was an acute shortage of beds compared to expected patients, and the unusual step was taken of having to cancel operations (first time that has occurred in a while). It meant that my mentor and I were unfortunately unable to really get to grip’s with our patients until gone 9am. I began by apologising to the patients for this delay (after all, it seemed the least I could do for them). When the medication rounds were out, there were some patients who were due for discharge and some that needed ECG and so I did that.

One frustrating thing was a patient who was awaiting the all clear to go by the doctor was kept waiting for a few hours while we were told "Will be there in 30 minutes" which went on for 2 and a half hours, only for another doctor to turn around and say "Just discharge them, they don't need anything as they are not on medications".
Following the discharges, no sooner was one bed ready then another patient was put in. I was able to get to grip’s with the patients admission, and secured some alternative dressings due to an allergy.
Today has been more fragmented then what it has been busy. That’s the way sometimes I guess. Though for some strange reason, I had the Knacks "My sharona" stuck in my head. Perhaps that was a warning, as line of "Come a little closer, close enough to look into my eye's sharona could comicially be substituted for "Keep back, at little bit, incase someone squirts gel in your eye's sharona", which was the rather comical (and eye stinging) accident today. So maybe I should call this "My industrial injury"?

No comments: