Sunday 22 July 2007

Broken Laptop blues

It is bad enough having to write two essays out for the 3rd August. The good news is that I only have another 700 words to write for one, and have all but finished the other bar a quick literature search.

The problem is that I cannot finish the latter and have been making headway with the other. The reson being that my laptop has decided to throw its toys out of the preverbial pram and damage its graphics card. On starting windows, it tells me that file ati2dvag.dll has casued the problem and gone into an infinate loop. I have no idea what file ati2dvag.dll is (appart from Google telling me it's to do with the graphics card), though I am sure it should not be going into an infinate loop. I have now emailed the essays to all my email accounts to retrieve them from a university computer and print them out in the university. I hate having to to that, but the probelm is the only way I can get the laptop to work is to start it in safe mode, which has rendered sound redundant, the USB ports not recognised and the graphics annoyingly big. The biggest pain is that several months ago, the laptop touch pad mouse decided never to work again so I have to use a USB mouse to work the cursor. This, is annoyying. Not nearly annoying howver, as the fact that my bursary saga is STILL ongoing. It seems that while the good people at the NHS student grants unit were contected by the university on the 11th July, they are currently 2 weeks behind and so I estimate it as being wednesday before the application is delt with and a cheque issued. The good news on that front is that it will be both June and July's bursary with will go some way to helping me with the overdraft. The bad news is that it comes too late as with -£1411.00 being the current balace, this has exceeded that limit and my balance for withdrawl is "NIL". Unfortunatly, I am paid by cheque, so the upcomming postal strike may well interfere with the delivery. Yes, the sad answer for me is that when it comes to the bursary, I have a lot of bills jockying for position to be paid like a load of airplanes low on fuel circling around a holiday airport. The one thing which will solve that (bursary) is looking like it will be the last horse to cross the finishing line.

So just when it's a grinding point with the finance, the laptop decides to go funny, and will need a qualified repair technician to have a look (be about £30-£60 I think). I have not the words.

No comments: