Thursday 16 August 2007

My defining moment

I once said that there was never any time where I felt that I have had that one defining moment in Nursing. Well, today was as near as I have been in a while. Today I was with my usual caseload of patients and all was proceeding smoothly. All the patients had their medication given, been washed, and were all in good spirits. I was to go for my morning break at 10am but after working through doing a flush and an IV line did not in fact start the 15 minute break until near 11am. I made my usual round of the patients, told them that I would be away from the bay but that the HCA would be keeping an eye on them. I make a point of this informal chat as it allows the patients to be aware of my whereabouts, and for me to know that they do not need anything in the immediate time.

Well, when I returned, all was well bar one patient who seemed a bit quiet. I was making another patient comfortable in the chair with the pillows when something made me take a look at the patient mentioned before and think "Somethings not right here". The patient looked a bit pale and seemed to be breathing heavily and rapidly. I went over, asked if they were OK and they seemed very distressed. They said that it was due to the new tablets they had had that morning (though this was several hours ago at the time). I was concerned that this could have been an allergic reaction so immediately started following the accepted protocol of laying the patient down, getting a set of obs and getting help. I got the patient onto their bed, got the dynamap which was next the patient, took a full set of observations, took down the information from the patient who was reporting SOB and chest pain. I alerted the HCA who put the patient on oxygen, and while I was doing the ECG the HCA called the staff nurse and the doctors to come down. All was well in the end, but it was one of those moments where the training really started to kick in. It was interesting to say the least.

Took the doctors ward round in the afternoon which was uneventful, though was the first one I have ever done which was a tad nerve wracking. In the afternoon I had a vist from the tutor in the essay which caused all the confusion who was really helpful. He said that considering the essay was bashed out that the standard was good. It would not pass at the moment as there was little mention made of the future implications of the subject, but said that if that was written in the same way as the rest and the current content tidied up that it would get well above 60 based on his opinion at the time (subject the change though).

2 comments:

Laura said...

Just stumbled across your blog. You seem exceptionally competant and should be proud of your actions during this circumstance.

I look forward to reading more!

Staff Nurse M said...

Many thanks for your kind words Laura.

It was one of those moments where I "just did my job" but then stopped and realised what my job had been.

Still, it's nice to think that I was able to stay with the patient, something that never happened much on the ambulance.