Saturday 25 August 2007

My Helicopter


It was an interesting shift Friday, mainly because I was working with a different staff Nurse after mine phoned in Sick. Had one patient who was not very well, and another who was on the End of Life Care Pathway (EOLCP). During the course of the sift, I was doing the work of a HCA as there had been a sick call. I am by no means complaining of Nursing in the role of the HCA as often a Staff Nurse will occupy a floating role to do this, but the most exasperating thing with this is that I am supposed to be on management placement at the moment, but have had only 3 days of actually doing anything like that.

I did have a good shift though, I decided that a patient would be better off having assisted feeding as they were not managing well with eating or drinking (several changes of gowns had occurred by the time lunch had arrived so I was not taking chances). Took another bay's patient over to CCU, and had a mild bit of excitement when I went outside to phone my girlfriend up as there was a large RAF Rescue Helicopter on the Helipad, several Police cars and a Fire engine. I am not sure what it was all about but it looked interesting enough, especially as there was a TV crew filming..

Apart from that just had a jaunt up to a nearby city with my Girlfriend who wanted some shopping, and I have a few ideas for my Christmas shopping (which I will have to do early this year as last Bursary is in December). So, now need to crack on with the essays!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice going Nursing Student. Did you ever find out why the helecopter was there? How much did your girlfriend drain your bursary then?

Staff Nurse M said...

Apparently it was something to do with a paraglider that had gone down and the RAF effected the rescue of the patient.

Thankfully there was not too much of a drain on the bursary (for once) lol.