Friday 10 August 2007

My gremlin



My Head exploding, today

The third day on placement. The first bad one. Definitely an unenjoyable one where there were some things that were unpleasant. The low point was being pulled up by a staff nurse over them thinking I was trying to skive. Part of the reason for that was the second thing that went wrong, which was a patient kicking a trolley out which ran over my foot and has left me in a great deal of discomfort. Imagine you have a great deal of pain and you can barely walk, after you have just set up 2 IV infusions, handled a phone call, taken a blood reading and need to pass this onto a college and you just sit down to explain these urgent messages when somebody walks past and tries to reprimand you because your "Sat down when we were busy answering buzzers a few minutes ago". Well, I heard them buzzers too, though next time check my location first as if you'd done that you'd have realised I was in fact dealing with my patients when that happened. Don't jump to conclusions about me as I have the ammo to fire back that today you abused the position of student nurses by using them to cover for your shortage of HCA's, and also the fact I went with only 1/2 a morning break and a short lunchtime and no evening break to get my patients seen (and a few discharged home).

Hardly nice when rather then going off duty I was doing my best to hobble over the ward (and got two blisters in the process).
The zoned academic was on the ward today so quickly managed to have in initial tripartie with her, so thats one less thing to do.

No comments: